Air Conditioning Repair Specialist
The Air Conditioning Repair Specialist Technical Certificate of Credit is a series of courses designed to prepare students for positions in the maintenance and repair of air conditioning systems. A combination of theory and practical application provide for the necessary skills to support industry requirements.
This program supports the needs of the area air conditioning industry by providing a reliable supply of trained repair heating and air conditioning technicians. This program will enable participants to learn refrigeration theory, electrical theory, refrigeration and electrical safety, refrigeration and electrical component identification, electric wiring diagrams, gas service theory and safety, code requirements, and heat pump service and theory. Upon completion of this program, students are eligible to take the 608 Air Conditioning exam. The cost for the exam is $50.
Students are accepted into the Air Conditioning Repair Specialist program any semester. A full-time student can complete the program in 2 semesters. To graduate, students must complete a minimum of 20 semester credit hours.
The Air Conditioning program is accredited by HVAC Excellence.
Individuals wanting to enroll in the Air Conditioning Repair Specialist program must have good eyesight, manual dexterity, hand eye coordination, critical thinking skills, problem solving skills, math skills, and the ability to apply technology to the work environment.
Offered at the Following Campus
South Campus (Dublin)
$55,000.00 – $75,000.00
Tuition & Fees: $2,662.00
Books & Supplies: $715.00
(Costs are estimated and are subject to change.)
HOPE Career Grant:
The HOPE Career Grant, formerly known as the Strategic Industries Workforce Development Grant, is available to HOPE Grant-qualified students who enroll in select majors specifically aligned with one of 12 industries in which there are more jobs available in Georgia than there are skilled workers to fill them.
To qualify, an OFTC student must be fully admitted to the college, enrolled in one of the above programs and receiving the HOPE Grant for the same term. The amount of the HOPE Career Grant award is a fixed amount for each term of enrollment:
- 9 or more credit hours – $500/semester
- 3-8 credit hours – $250/semester
- 1-2 credit hours – $125/semester
- Commercial Truck Driving – $1,000 one time award
High School students in dual enrollment and joint enrollment are NOT eligible.
The Air Conditioning Repair Specialist certificate program is intended to provide graduates with the knowledge for entry-level jobs as installers for heaters and air conditioning units.
- Submit a completed application and application fee;
- Be at least 16 years of age;
- Submit official high school transcript or GED transcript;
- Submit official college transcripts, if applicable;
- OFTC may accept a student’s official entrance score on the following validated assessment instruments if the scores meet the required minimums: COMPASS/ASSET, SAT, ACT, PSAT, PACT, Accuplacer/Accuplacer Next Generation/Companion, HOPE GPA after completion of 10th grade of 2.6 or higher, or GED.