Advanced Shielded Metal Arc Welder
The Advanced Shielded Metal Arc Welder Technical Certificate of Credit is a continuation of the basic certificate. The advanced program provides instruction in shielded metal arc welding in the overhead, horizontal, and vertical positions.
Students are accepted into the Advanced Shielded Metal Arc Welder program any semester. A full-time student can complete this program in 2 semesters. To graduate, students must earn a minimum of 12 semester credit hours.
Individuals wanting to enroll in the Advanced Shielded Metal Arc Welder program must have good eyesight, manual dexterity, hand eye coordination, critical thinking skills, problem solving skills, math skills, and the ability to apply technology to the work environment.
Offered at the Following Campus
South Campus (Dublin)
$35,000.00 – $42,000.00
Tuition & Fees: $1,862.00
Books & Supplies: $430.00
(Costs are estimated and are subject to change.)
HOPE Career Grant:
The HOPE Career Grant, formerly known as the Strategic Industries Workforce Development Grant, is available to HOPE Grant-qualified students who enroll in select majors specifically aligned with one of 12 industries in which there are more jobs available in Georgia than there are skilled workers to fill them.
To qualify, an OFTC student must be fully admitted to the college, enrolled in one of the above programs and receiving the HOPE Grant for the same term. The amount of the HOPE Career Grant award is a fixed amount for each term of enrollment:
- 9 or more credit hours – $500/semester
- 3-8 credit hours – $250/semester
- 1-2 credit hours – $125/semester
- Commercial Truck Driving – $1,000 one time award
High School students in dual enrollment and joint enrollment are NOT eligible.
Graduates are prepared for employment as a structural welder using SMAW process in all positions.
- Submit a completed application and application fee;
- Be at least 16 years of age;
- Submit official high school transcript or GED transcript;
- Submit official college transcripts, if applicable;
- Meet assessment requirements by taking the entrance placement test. In lieu of the placement test, official scores on COMPASS, ASSET, SAT, ACT, PSAT or GED may be substituted.
Additional admission requirements:
1. Must have completed the Basic Shielded Metal Arc Welder TCC.